Sunday, December 10, 2006

Revere Sugar Demolition Underway

Revere Demolition

The demolition of the iconic Revere Sugar factory in Red Hook by Thor Equities and its CEO Joe Sitt is underway. It has started, not with a big boom, but with a series of little bangs. A small work crew was on the site yesterday and the sounds of banging and sawing were coming from inside the factory. At one point, workers were seen climbing the iconic conical dome. Demolition workers were stripping the metal facade from the building, leaving the steel skeleton exposed. You can see the results of their work in the photo above. Two stories and several hundred feet of the base of the building around the cone around the orange machine has been stripped of its exterior. There were about a half-dozen employees on site yesterday doing demolition prep work. We will have more photos and video both here and on Curbed tomorrow.

Looks like there will be quite a bit of low-key work before any dramatic demolition occurs. The prep work reminds us of something we saw recently when huge warehouses were demolished to make way for a new soccer stadium in Harrison, NJ. The buildings were stripped of their metal facades and interiors, leaving steel skeletons that were then demolished.

Equipment One

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh really? Joe Sitt is personally demolishing the refinery?

By the way, you guys might want to try to work "iconic" and "landmark" into your posts about the sugar refinery a little more - I don't think you've made it clear enough that you're against this whole thing.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

snarky poster: Maybe you are Joe Sitt. And are you telling us you are for this demolition?

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I am Joe Sitt...no wait...I'm in my 20's and don't have millions of dollars. I just think this is a great thing...and yes, I am for this demolition :)

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a young and cynical loser. And with this attitude, I think you will someday become one of those developers and make millions of $. Look on the bright side!

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the irony - resorting to such a childish insult in the same sentence in which you tell me I'm young. Heh...and interesting that you call me cynical - I presume you are the same person who suggested I might be Joe Sitt. That is amusingly hypocritical...or hypocritically amusing? Either way :) I'm a very happy guy, so most sides are bright to me.

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, yeah, yeah, blah blah blah... whatever...
if you don't consider yourself jaded, cynical and unhappy, why don't you bother to clarify your support for this hideous demolition? unless of course, you are joe sitt and are in this or the $... and btw, do you live in red hook? because i do and i feel that the removal of the refinery and other old structures is very tragic and angers me and i do not understand why someone would chose to support it. and one last thing, please do not try to analyze and retort to every sentence of my post, instead, please try to be positive and explain your position.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home