Friday, October 05, 2007

Spurned Tour Takers Unhappy with Brooklyn Navy Yard

We think we will see more of these emails before the day is out, but it seems like several of the 100+ people turned away from the Brooklyn Navy Yard Tour this weekend (because they only planned to accommodate 22 people) are somewhat peeved. Here's one email:
Obviously a lot of us wanted to do this. I think to schedule just one tour of the Navy Yard for the entire OHNY weekend - allowing just 22 people to participate - is not a good way for the Navy Yard Development Corporation to begin developing its relationship with the community. I fear much will be destroyed before tours are more available.
And, here's another on the same subject:
I would be interested to know: (1) how the 22 who will be going were selected: and (2) why you failed to indicate earlier, on the OHNY website, that the tour was full. I ask because I was among a group of 40 or so people who, earlier this year, signed up for a walk through Williamsburg that was organized by the New York Restoration Project (Bette Midler’s group) which walk was promoted as including an inside the walls tour of the BNY. We weren’t told until we arrived for the walk-tour that BNY had decided not to allow us in. I feel like I’ve been taken for a ride twice now on this same subject.
And there is this one that arrived this morning:
I wish to add my own complaint about the OHNY tour. I sent my email to sign up for the tour at 2:43 AM on September 28. Remember, the program for OHNY was released at midnight on September 28, which means that I tried to register less than 3 hours after the official opening of the program. Many days later, I received a response that the tour was full. All this is very suspicious to me.
And there is this followup that just arrived:
I am a volunteer with OHNY this year who very much wanted to do this tour. I am forwarding this chain to OHNY staff. It would be a shame for people to walk away from OHNY with a negative experience because of a single tour we all wanted to do. I hope that OHNY will send us all an email explaining how [the] 3am email failed to result in a spot for the tour. Obviously they go to great lengths to make this event free and open to the public and I am sure they'll take this issue seriously.
People were certainly looking forward to their Navy Yard tours. We will see if any responses are forthcoming from the person that wrote the email. In the meantime, mention of the tour appears to have disappeared entirely from the OHNY website. Developing.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually the program for OHNY was released early at like 5-7pm or before on Sept 27.

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home