Friday, November 16, 2007

Park Slope Pigeon Mania #2: Serial Killing Evidence Thrown Away

We heard from the woman who calls herself the "Pigeon Advocate" again, and it turns out that important evidence that could have furthered the ASPCA investigation of the Park Slope Pigeon Killings of 07 was thrown away. (Which is what one might tend to do with a sack full of dead pigeons.) She explains:
The ASPCA was adamant that I give them the dead little ones -- when, in fact, I was so upset that I put them in the bag (to avoid the children having to witness as there are many happy school within that three block radius) but then decided I couldn't take the dead birds to work.

Instead, I turned around, saw the laughing man (the fellow, again, who out of fear of law suit, am not mentioning his name, but I know his name and where he lives) -- he was laughing.

Are you sure he killed those birds? -- Everyone, including reporters from the Brooklyn Papers and the Courier all want to know. Pretty darn sure. He had been threatening. He had also threatened me personally and yes, there is a public complaint filed against him (by me) with 78th precinct. He attacked me one morning on my way to work. He and I are very close.

But, alas, I do not have the sac o' dead birds. Instead, apparently, this woman from the Bird Club found them and sadly we never took them for poison analysis. According to the ASPCA, we need that in order to further their efforts. So -- hear this -- if I ever, and I hope I don't -- see another pile of dead little babies (pigeons) on my block, I will, I promise you, I promise the ASPCA, the DOH and the DEC, I will take all the dead birdies home and (as they instruct) put them in my refrigerator so they can be picked up for analysis...

Let's talk minority rights. Pigeon haters abound. That (from this blog, if by nothing else) is achingly clear. Pigeon haters - you're with us! I hear you! I am loony to care, even though, in the top ten of "What would Jesus Do" -- I believe coming to the aid of the down trodden, the meak and the lepers of his society was right up there with the magic of fishies from loaves of bread -- if you get the general drift.
We would be utterly shocked if this is the end of the story unless, of course, the Park Slope Pigeon Serial Killer goes back into hiding for another nine or ten years before striking again.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! what i don't get is how do you even kill a whole bunch of pigeons with a car? don't they run or fly away? it doesn't make sense to me.

also the flyer says they were run over by an SUV but you're saying they were poisoned by your sweeping neighbor. which is it?

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First it seemed they had been run over -- they were in piles, literally, on the curb of 6th Street and 8th Avenue. On closer inspection, none of them had any impact wounds, but some were bleeding from the mouth. That is a sign of internal bleeding that often comes from poison. Since I did not take the birds for analysis, my educated guess is now that it was poison.

I sincerely hope there are no more piles of dead birds. I also pray that this latest push to ban pigeon feeding might result in the city's brainstorming about how and what would be needed to create a city that enjoys and nurtures it's rich diversity of wildlife as well as takes care of its infrastructure -- without having to decimate an entire population of birds who have lived here for centuries.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They should give the vermin exterminator a medal

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is people like "anonymous" who posted, "they should give the 'vermin' exterminator a medal" that remind me why we live on a planet where there is war, violence, killing and injustice. Compassion, seemingly weak, is probably one of the hardest and highest of human qualities. People who care for animals lift themselves up to a higher level, alas "anonymous" will have to wait his turn -- maybe in his next life. Perhaps he will come back as a pigeon.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is people like "anonymous" who posted, "they should give the 'vermin' exterminator a medal" that remind me why we live on a planet where there is war, violence, killing and injustice. Compassion, seemingly weak, is probably one of the hardest and highest of human qualities. People who care for animals lift themselves up to a higher level, alas "anonymous" will have to wait his turn -- maybe in his next life. Perhaps he will come back as a pigeon.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm your only friend
I'm not your only friend
But I'm a little glowing friend
But really I'm not actually your friend
But I am

Blue pigeon in the outlet by the light switch
Who watches over you
Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Not to put too fine a point on it
Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
Make a little birdhouse in your soul

I have a secret to tell
From my electrical well
It's a simple message and I'm leaving out the whistles and bells
So the room must listen to me
Filibuster vigilantly
My name is blue pigeon one note spelled l-i-t-e
My story's infinite
Like the Longines symphonette it doesn't rest

Blue pigeon in the outlet by the light switch
Who watches over you
Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Not to put too fine a point on it
Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
Make a little birdhouse in your soul

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enough of the pigeon shit. Get over it. There are important issues, and this isn't one of them.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"enough of the pigeon shit?" anonymous said, "get over it."

What was that book -- "Everything I ever needed to know, I learned in Kindgergarten" -- ?

Sometimes what appears to be simple is quite the opposite. What are the elements in all the "pigeon shit" discussion?

The very basic ones that determine how we live together as a society (how do we resolve difference without a totalitarian spin) and how do we treat the animals in our midst.

Those two basic elements are at work within the "pigeon shit" discussion. And I would posit that when and if this issue is resolved it would be for the greater good of our humanity.

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

on top of this we have to get lectured abouyt Jesus. Hey, not everybody is a Jesus follower/believer.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please Dear Jesus:
I pray the "do not feed" law goes into effect so the police can fine (and hopefully arrest) this selfish woman who has no regard whatsoever for her neighbors.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps her neighbors have little regard for her? If the pigeon feed law does go into effect how soon will there be more laws to dictate what we, as human beings, consider normal day to day living? The mayor already has a fine for sitting on a box on the street, he fined a pregnant woman for sitting on the subway stairs when she was about to go into labor, you can get a fine for just trying to buy a newspaper and being double parked. While you are so eager for a no-feed law, think of how many more laws are just around the corner.

It is not unilateral by any means nor is it the majority of people who "hate" pigeons or pigeon feeders. In fact, most people are either neutral or like the little birds. So then, who is having disregard for whom?

If you keep saying "feed them somewhere else" then where, pray tell, does that leave you?

Pigeons are homing birds, they do not travel farther than 10 blocks from where they are born. You cannot explain this to them.

We need to have more respect for eachother and don't presume that it is the lady who has no regard for her neighbor, it seems more correct the other way around.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home