Thursday, September 13, 2007

Subway "Potty Time" on the Way to the Park Slope Food Coop

This blog item manages to blend two hot button topics--the Park Slope Food Coop and having one's child "go potty" on the subway. (We've previously covered the topic of them going potty on trees in Park Slope.) This blog post was written by an Upper West Side mom taking her son with her to the Park Slope Food Coop. It is on her blog, Diaper Free Adventures. We present key excerpts:
On Thursdays I take my son to the food co-op. This is an hour train ride from the Upper West Side of Manhattan to Park Slope, Brooklyn. This past Thursday I left my apartment early in the morning with my son sleeping quietly in his carrier and a rickety shopping cart in tow.

There were about six other people on the train, all of whom were nodding off or playing Solitare or Tetris on the cell phones. I was sitting in the corner comfortably taking up two seats...I took his potty out of the plastic bag hanging from my bookbag, put it on my lap and took off his diaper. There he was...my son half naked on the 2 train speeding beneath Brooklyn streets. A far cry from being in at home or in a park. I sat him on the potty and made my cueing sound, "pssssss."

I looked to my right, not one person was looking at us. "Psssssss," I said into his hear.

He leaned forward, bounced his right leg up and down against the potty and after a few minutes did a good sized pee-pee. Again, I looked to see if anyone was looking, but not one person stirred. I later told my hudband that in New York you have to rely on the fact that many people are too self-absorbed to notice you...even if your 5 month old son is peeing in a bright red potty just a few feet away!
Okay, so it's really cute that he's only five months and doing this, but would going pee-pee in his diedy on the train have been a better option? We don't know the answer, but it's an interesting question, indeed.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but thats kind of gross. Mostly because what does she do with the potty when he's done? Ick.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

put a diaper on that talford! that way i can be assured, when i sit, that the liquid on the seat is air conditioner condensation and not the little wonder's pp.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly. What did she do then? Dump it on the train tracks? Public urination is actually a misdemeanor of some sort, which I'm down with, b/c urine smells and uric acid is corrosive. This should apply to 5-month-olds as well as 50-year-olds.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Figures she was on her way to Park Slope.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get over yourself, lady, and put that kid in a diaper when you have a one hour ride on your hands. It is NOT cute! (But not as bad as people who leave dirty diapers in corners of the subway station because they can't be bothered to carry them to a trash can.)

11:44 AM  
Blogger Dope On The Slope said...

Would she do the same with her incontinent grandmother?

When my bundle of joy arrives, I do solemnly swear that the little squirt will NOT be wagging his willy in public no matter how urgent the need.

I also swear to NEVER use "just wait 'til you have kids" as an excuse.

Personally, I'm OK with public nudity. It's the urinating that, er, pisses me off. What if that cute red bowl were to spill if the subway lurched as she was holding the kid?

Have some sense people.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait, can someone explain to me why he couldn't just go in his diaper, which was about to be changed anyways? and who the fuck carries around a portable toilet in their bag? guess she's never heard
Erykah Badu's "Bag Lady".

That being said, some of us are NOT too "self-absorbed" to notice this kind of behavior. If the child is still wearing diapers, that's the only place he should be pissing. Save the portable potty business for your home.

4:05 PM  
Blogger JanetG said...

No wonder people think what they do about the Food Coop and the people who belong.

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gross! Just. . . just. . . Yuck!

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blog is all about raising a kid without diapers. Ok, so she thinks this is a good idea. But she should give in once and slap a nappie on the kid. Just selfish and rude!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Miss Lo said...

A FIVE MONTH OLD ON A POTTY? THEY CAN'T EVEN SIT UP YET!!

yes, i have kids. that's truly disgusting.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silly mommy. You think because we don't look at the crazy person on the subway means we don't notice the crazy person on the subway?

I think she needs her self-awareness radar checked.

7:09 PM  
Blogger JanetG said...

The excerpt here is just a hint of what the blog has to offer.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home