Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Brooklyn Blogger Solidly Defeats Mugger

Found this life-affirming item on the Daily Heights blog, which features it from the Prospect Heights Message Board, where intense discussion is ongoing. The gist of it is that a local blogger kept a mugger from stealing his camera, which is either a risky thing to do or a way to stand up for yourself. Us, we'd part with the camera before risking getting a screwdriver plunged into our side, but you have to give someone credit for kicking a mugger in the balls, instead. Here it is:
“Yesterday, while snapping photos for my blog near the corner of Eastern Parkway and Bedford, I got jumped. I was forced into a shadowy area between a wall and a parked semi-truck.”

“The guy got me in a headlock from behind, pressed a screwdriver against the back of my neck and repeatedly demanded “Lemme get that camera, motherfucker, lemme get that camera” as I kept walking, struggling …”

“Instinct took over (hey, youre gonna need alot more than a screwdriver to get my Leica at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon, asshole) and I immediately clutched the camera to my chest and dove forward to break the choke-hold while simultaneously kicking my feet backwards, hoping to land a square blow to his nuts.”

“I ended up catching my balance with my left foot but landing a fortuitously solid kick to his right knee, which I could feel snap backwards/sideways from the force….

“I really just wanted to post this little story to say that when bad things like this happen in our neighborhood, its not always cowering victims, fear, paranoia and the police blame-game…”

Makes us think about how many sketchy and/or deserted places we constantly wander loaded down with expensive gear. There are many comments about this over at the discussion board.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home