Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Dyker Beach and Bath Beach: "Where the Streets Had No Name"

Forgotten Dyker

Forgotten-NY was one of our favorite sites long before we ever any thought of blogging, and we always await its new items. The latest is a wonderfully done item on Dyker Beach and Bath Beach that is full of both information and photos. A sample:
I began at the subway at 4th Avenue and 86th Street; I had left this area in March 1993, and had returned periodically to visit my father about once a month, for dentist visits, and lunch at my favorite diner, Zeke's Roast Beef on 8th Avenue and 66th Streets. Well, my father has passed on, and so has Zeke's; it's now a Chinese restaurant. I still have a good number of my teeth, though, and now and then, some of them hurt, so my connection to Bay Ridge is now my dentist. (I have never returned to my old grade school, St. Anselm's; I consider June 17, 1971, my own personal holiday since that was the day I graduated. I wasn't treated with the courtesy I thought I deserved from either my classmates or teachers. Of course the same also goes for some of the places I've worked.)
Absolutely wonderful writing and photos about two neighborhoods that many Brooklynites (let alone New Yorkers) don't often visit. While we're on the subject, don't forget Kevin Walsh's new Forgotten New York book, easily the best NYC book of the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home