Monday, November 20, 2006

Preparing Grand Army Plaza for the Holidays

Preparing the Arch for Christmas

Workers were busy this weekend getting Grand Army Plaza ready for the "Prospect Park in Lights" display that we mentioned on Saturday. From the looks of things, there will be LEDs across the top of the arch and partly across the sides. Last night, we gazed down Prospect Park West from Fourth Street to the Arch and could see a treee light structure lit up in blue, as they were testing the lights. The Prospect Park Alliance website, meanwhile, offers more detail on the display and on the schedule for free trolley bus tours of the lights on Saturday and Sunday nights during the holiday season.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry if I come off as Scrooge, but I've just walked by Grand Army Plaza again, thinking to myself "could these ligts be more garish and gaudy?" They really do 'stand out' compared to the more modest light and tree / menorah displays of years past... I think the Park Alliance website calls the displays eye-catching, and I couldn't agree more. Reading their site further, I see that the Daily News sponsored these monstrosities... I just think Brownstone Brooklyn is not really a fitting place for Vegas-style lights... I would also imagine they pull down considerable wattage, and do our donations to the Park Alliance go toward the electric bill too??
JUst call me old-fashioned...

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home