Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Things to Look Foward To: South Slope Mosquito Breeding Season Approaching

Ah, summer in Brooklyn. Nice walks around the neighborhoods. Outdoor parties. Celebrate Brooklyn. And, monster swarms of mosquitoes from the construction site next door. We've spied a couple of these water-filled babies in Williamsburg and thought they would be God's gift to mosquitoes as soon as the season arrived. Now, from the South Slope comes the following e-missive:
With the warm weather coming, that means the mosquito's are not far away. I am sure this problem will exist with other properties around the neighborhood with similar partially dug foundations, but I am especially concerned with the one at 230 16th street. There is a partially dug foundation at the 3 unit property at 230 16th street that has resulted in a concrete pool being left that probably has about 7 feet of stagnant water in it currently.

We have initiated a few calls with 311 with little luck so far, trying to get them to act on either forcing the contractor to pump the water out or treat the water to prevent a massive mosquito incubator.

If anyone has a few minute, please log a 311 complaint about this property. If anyone is aware of other large stagnant pools in partial construction sites, please let us know so we can open tickets on those as well.
A neighbor of the mosquito pond emailed this comment:
I saw that pond today. I happened to catch the gate open. It's huge!...Last year the mosquitoes were the worst ever in my backyard on 16th.
Excellent!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

I had my first mosquito Sunday evening when I was gardening. But I don't think it was a southern Brooklyn mosquito.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home