Thursday, July 12, 2007

Brooklyn's Jogging Blogger Hangs Up His Running Shoes

[Photo courtesy of gkjarvis/flickr]

Brooklyn's jogging blogger, Gary Jarvis, is officially calling it quits. While we're disappointed and will especially miss the thousands more photos that Gary would have shot and posted in his runs around the borough, but we understand the injuries that led to the decision. He writes:
This shouldn't come as a big surprise to anyone (at least anyone who's read this blog lately), but I've decided to officially hang up my running shoes and end the quest to run every street in Brooklyn. The final tally was 872 unique miles, or just over half of the total. I'll leave it up to my loyal readers -- all three of you -- to work out whether the glass is half empty or half full, but I figured it was time to own up to the fact that I'm simply not going to run the other fifty percent.

It certainly was fun while it lasted, though. I got to see just about every neighborhood in the borough (okay, I didn't actually run in Brooklyn Heights or Dumbo, but I've been to those places on other occasions), and ride almost every mile of subway. Along the way I also took over 2000 photos (some of which came out pretty cool, if I do say so myself), and met some great people. When I started this, one of my stated reasons was to "get to know the place a little better." Well, I think I did. You could probably blindfold me, drop me off anywhere in the borough, and I'd know (well, within a minute or two) where I was and how to get home. I might not have accomplished everything that I set out to do, but I can't complain, either.
There's a lot more to the post and it's worth reading if your interested. You can check out Gary's 900 flickr posted photos here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home