Friday, July 27, 2007

Leaky Modern Hydrant Wears Dunce Cap, Nearby Tree Implodes

hydrantimage002

Perhaps you've followed the tale of the hydrant being used for water by The Modern on N. 7th Street in Williamsburg. If you haven't, all you really need to know is that neighbors complain the luxe condo building has been a huge pain in the ass and that, now, a water leak threatens possible problems for some of them. We don't know if there is a causal relationsip with the nasty tree trouble in the email below, or if that's just a cautionary tale for people with old trees on their property. Regardless, it's a miniature Williamsburg tale of woe:
On Wednesday two inspectors from DEP came out to look at the Hydrant again. Although they validated all of my concerns, I was told that they could not make the contractor stop since he has a permit. So the hydrant has been used despite the damage being done to my home. The pictures below were taken at 9:10am today. I also have to deal with the sudden imploding of my hundred plus year old Apple tree. I inspected the tree today and the trunk of the tree is rotted and very wet. Could the water from the hydrant cause this?

It’s heartbreaking to my family to lose this once beautiful tree. And my insurance company has told me I am on my own since they would only pay to remove the tree if it was hit by lightning. So now I am facing a bill of at least $2000.00 to remove the tree. I’m on quite a roll. Anyone handy with a chainsaw?
Only if the tree is hit by lightening? They sure know how to write policies to make sure the odds are in their favor. As for the hydrant, we have a feeling we haven't heard the last of it or the damage it will do if the city doesn't address the issue. And, as for The Modern itself, we suspect we'll be running posts about it until people start moving in.

treeimage006

treeimage004

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you sue them - instead of wasting your time with the city?

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home