Friday, July 20, 2007

Park Slope & Gowanus Bike Theft & Car Break In Blues

Car with Teapot

From one of our readers comes a story of some theft issues in the Gowanus and Park Slope area. We'll let him explain:
I moved into Park Slope/Gowanus (Degraw between 4th and 5th) in the middle of May and since that time I have had my bike stolen from in front of my Apt (learned to use a U lock) and I just had my car broken into while parking on Degraw just before 3rd between 3rd and 4th. Broke in and stold my GPS that was in the center console...some other random small things including my sons books and toys. A very interesting way to get introduced to the area. I had my GPS mount out which probably tipped them off. I drive a Hundai Sonnata...so it is not particularly fancy. The police were very nice but, of course, even with NYPD CSI taking prints off the car and the metal teapot that they used to smash in the window...not going to really get my GPS back.
Nice touch leaving the teapot behind, as you can see in the actual photo of the actual aftermath above. Our writer adds of the teapot, in fact, "Nice teapot eh? I cleaned it out and will keep it to remember how never to leave anything in my car... and perhaps have a cup of tea." That's the Brooklyn spirit.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Miss Lo said...

Dear People...

I am very sorry your car was broken into and your bike was stolen. I am also very sorry that you realtor lied to you. Third Avenue and DeGraw Street is not Park Slope. In fact, it's not even Gowanus, which ends somewhere around Union.

DeGraw and Third (or even 4th) is ATSFTP, or Across the Street From The Projects. Semi industrial and not nice.

And for anyone who is new in town, never leave anything in your car. not your baby seat. Not your GPS. Not even a used kleenex. This is not a problem exclusive to here - it is a known fact in cities world over.

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ATSFTP? It is at least 3 blocks from edge of any project. You don't know the area.
But right, I don't care what city (or even suburban mall) - don't leave anything visible in car that may even look like may have value.
Especially in spot like between 3rd and 4th where nobody going to notice a breakin.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, it is supposed to be universally known that you never leave anything in a car in the city, whether it is hidden or not.

I guess no one ever told you that BK car and home insurance rates are some of the highest in the nation due to high rate of theft from both and of cars.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least they didnt take you tea kettle

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeh, i too am sorry you had your stuff taken, but honestly in this day and age you should never leave anything in your car (even if it is hidden) regardless of what neighborhood or city you are in. leaving your power cord plugged in like that is a dead giveaway that you are careless enough to have the electronics that go with it hidden in the glove compartment or under the seat. plus, there are plenty of people who will break in for the $5 charger or 30cents in change on the floor. the best way to avoid paying for more replacement windows is to leave your car interior spotless (you shouldn't even have maps or paper on the floor) and the glove compartment wide open. better yet, ditch the car or pay for a lot somewhere.

finally, NYC is the bike theft capital of the US and even the best U-Lock isn't recommended for overnight parking. if you absolutely have to lock your bike outside get the Kryptonite Fagahtaboutit chain and lock...of course these locks weigh about as much as the bike. btw, statistics show that it is the sub-$100 bikes that are stolen most frequently so really no bike is safe.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't locked my car in years. I got tired of replacing windows. I don't leave anything in my car that I care about, and it's cool.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe this video will offer some solace. If you sing along it will help relieve you of some pent up anger, at least about the bike loss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKOWmPMrmsQ

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For 10 years I've watched all the improvements (or gentrification if you want to call it that) spread from 7th Ave. down to 5th and now 4th as well as widen from Flatbush to Sunset Park but one thing that hasn't changed is that Degraw sucks. Even between 4th and 5th Aves it seems like a quarter of the buildings are boarded up. I had a friend who lived on the block a number of years and it was a fact of daily life that some thuggy teen was selling drugs off your stoop.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have a walk down Degraw between 4th and 5th now. There are no boarded up buildings or drug dealers.

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home