Friday, August 03, 2007

New Blog Alert: Icky in Brooklyn


[Photo courtesy of Icky in Brooklyn]

We got an email from the creator of the new Windsor Terrace blog, Icky in Brooklyn, (aka Cranky in Windsor Terrace) the other day. Besides being a Windsor Terrace blog, which we applaud, its early entries show tremendous promise. Here's a sample from a post this week called Hail Windsor Terrace, Full of Grace:
I am neither Irish nor Catholic; but I like Ireland, and I like churches. In some way, this qualifies me to live among and be accepted by the generations of Clarks and O'Somethings that live up and down our shady blocks.

Although Park Slope pushes south like a loud, cranky toddler (and the lone available house on our block just went for $1.2 mil), our elder generation of VFW members and stoop-sitters have largely pushed the stroller brigade back across the front lines. (Sixteenth street.) "I ain't sellin'. Where would I go anyways?" Nothing I like better that a stubborn ol' crank. (It's what I aspire to be.)

The center of our universe is Holy Name, which encompasses the church, the school, the ballfield, the day camp, the boy scouts, the senior center ... you get the idea. I sometimes think of it as "the complex." It is a block long and an avenue deep, and the neighborhood radiates out from it. I've never been inside (not being Catholic), so it scares me a little; but bells still toll in Windsor Terrace every hour and that's good enough for me.
And do read yesterday's post about Celebrate Brooklyn concert goers getting off the F Train at 15th Street and looking around Windsor Terrace for the show. Icky in Brooklyn lists its favorite blog as newyorkshitty which is (a). very cool with us and (b). indicative of the blogger's mindset, which we applaud.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home