Sunday, March 30, 2008

Disconnected in Brooklyn on Craigslist: Cortez the Killer?

We often eschew the stranger postings on the festival of passing ships known as Craigslist Missed Connections, yet there was something compellingly weird about this one. It's not a "missed" connection per se so much as it seems to be a connection that went awry:
Vasiliki: HE CAME DANCING ACROSS THE WATER, CORTEZ, CORTEZ..... - m4w - 36

I know that we barely knew each other and my intensity was not appropriate. But months later, I still can't forget you. That car we drove around in has since been totalled ... but I survived and I remain in Williamsburg. Thank you so much for reminding me of "Cortez the Killer". A song which documents the moment when our innate yearnings, ambitions and potential were compromised by an ill-timed meeting between an evolved civilization and an un-evolved yet dangerous destroyer of spiritual progress. I behaved much like Cortez by creating an argument after we had an inspiring night of intense conversation thanks to your progressive ideas and instincts... but like the narrator of the tale states "I still can't remember when and how I lost my way" and I decided to find out where I am. Our encounter inspired me to address introspection as opposed to self-rejection. It alerted me to what I really want as opposed to what our entire society, complicit in its own demise (yet unaware of why), has become. I still enjoy our mistress but I don't enjoy being irrational and heartless. I would follow you into Hell and would never let another man hurt you ever again. I hope you live forever...thank you!..Doc
Get out those Neil Young MP3s.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home