Sunday, September 02, 2007

Disconnected in Brooklyn on Craigslist: You Were on Your Bike

We don't know if there are more bicycle-related Brooklyn Missed Connections on Craigslist this week or if we just noticed them more. By our count, however, there were 13 this week. Like this one:
cute girl on track bike with deep V's, ATM bedford/N7th sat.night - m4w - 32

i don't know if the girl with you on the other track bike was your girl, i couldn't tell if you were a lesbian or straight....you loved my shoes...you loved my shoes "thats all you said continiously.....it was funny.....i was with like 3girls which probably made you think i was gay....

no harm, i would just like to ride bikes with you......

oh, and i think you had yellow flat bars, and your wheels were unmachined....the bike was dope and i'm just curious as to who you are....when you spoke to me...i got nervous and locked up...

sorry
Since we're dealing with a theme today and going all Streets Blog in our Missed Connections feature, we also dig this one:
boys riding bicycles across the bridge on a serene evening! - w4m - 23

I’m riding across the bridge headed to manhattan and it’s nighttime, a clear night, the skyline all aglitter. It’s cool and temperate so I’m nearly sweatless… You pass me across the river, you’re going to brooklyn and I make briefest eyecontact with one, two three of you… I always wear a dress with shorts underneath and your eyes hesitate on my thighs for only a moment… or perhaps it’s wishful thinking.

I’ll be returning later in the evening, but I want to stop you to mention that we should simply travel together. I know it may be difficult to hold hands while on such a peregrination, or to even ride side by side in casual conversation. I’m happy enough to ascend more quickly than you, arriving at the plateau only to have you race past and beat me to the other side. My legs grow stronger every day, but I can’t deny that chasing after a righteous man should aid my ever flourishing musculature.

Why are the boys who find my tail a tantalizing chase lacking in bicycles? Instead they tend to smoke too much pot, watch episodes of the simpsons and mystery science theater on repeat, shop at H&M compulsively, wash their hair with disconcerting frequency, attempt to woo me with irritating songs on a harmonica, and offer to take me to whitecastle for a slider in the car so we won’t have to move our legs in the slightest. But I want to move my legs! How long it’s been since I’ve ridden with a boy, side by side, over bridges and across pleateaus, through valleys and over mountains… How much I miss these pleasures! I want to ride with you, arriving cool and vigorous and in a state of subtle ecstatic bliss! Or maybe we’ll never arrive, only to adventure through the night and into the early morning dawnlight. Exercise, heartsplosion.

Next time you see me, one of us should turn around. Better times are inevitable.
Pedal on.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger tomasdinges said...

That is a really great post that shows the growth of cycling in the city it seems...but also how, for example, the tension always present passing others on bicycles, or pedestrians, the flash of speed and athleticism, the nearness and distance, the voyuerism...of riding a bicycle.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home