Ikea Hiring Starts Next Week: Red Hook Residents Getting Three-Week "Head Start"
Although the opening of the massive Ikea store on Beard Street in Red Hook has been delayed until August, the retailer is starting to hire and is taking job applications from Red Hook residents as of January 14. The Red Hook applications can only be submitted online. (The company has already filled about 20 management jobs, with people from as far away as California, Canada and Sweden and it advertised another 40 management jobs without giving residents a "head start.") The possibility of hundreds of jobs for Red Hook residents was used by the retailer to generate support for the project in the neighborhood. As for the unspecified number of non-management jobs, applications from only the 11231 zip code will be accepted through February 4. There are two locations in Red Hook--Red Hook Rise and Red Hook Works--where applicants can use computers for free to file online job applications.
Per the retailer:
All applications must be submitted online. Beginning on January 14th, Red Hook residents can:Red Hook Rise is at 480 Van Brunt Street on the second floor above the Fairway. It is open from 10AM-7PM Monday-Friday and from 12-5PM on Saturday and Sunday. Red Hook Works is at 252 Van Brunt and is open Monday-Friday from 10AM-5PM.
Log onto the IKEA website from any computer to apply: www.IKEA-USA.com
- Click on “Jobs” at the bottom of the page/screen
- Click “Apply Now” and then click on “Read More” under ‘National Jobs’
- Scroll down and accept IKEA Privacy Notice
- Click on “Search Openings”
- Under ‘Location,’ scroll down and click on “New York (Brooklyn)” or type “Brooklyn” into ‘Keyword’ and then click on “Search”
- Apply for whichever positions seem most appropriate
- You will be asked to either attach a resume or to input one using the associated resume-builder as part of the online application.
Several Ikea job sessions took place earlier this week. Additional ones are slated for January 15, 16 and 17. Only applicants that pre-register can attend. Call 718-596-1327 for the times, locations and to RSVP.