Monday, February 18, 2008

Big Boerum Hill Raccoon on State Street

We have seen many raccoons sauntering around Brooklyn, but we're always amused by tales of raccoon sightings and reactions to them. This email comes from the Boerum Hill group on Yahoo:
I saw a large raccoon last night, proceeding calmly down the south side of State between Smith and Hoyt, going up and down each stoop and investigating each area, while keeping casually ahead of me and out of my way. It was a little alarming to see such a large feral creature in our front yards and to wonder where it lived, if it had a family, etc. Has anyone else seen raccoons around lately, or know how common they are in our neighborhood? I would greatly prefer, for its sake and ours, that it lived in a less urban setting.
Let's just say that they're around, in general.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rabid raccoons have been found in NYC. Stay away from raccoons and make sure that your pets stay away from raccoons.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the relaxed disposition of this particular raccoon -- new resident, checking out the local haunts.

heh.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The raccoons have been overrunning Green-Wood cemetery, but a rabid one has never been caught. No one has been treated for rabies in NYC for 50 years.

Rabid or not, the raccoons are wild and will defend themselves if bothered, so be cautious.

www.forgotten-ny.com

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rabies...

11:29 AM  
Blogger JakeGould said...

People seem a bit paranoid. Unless the raccoon is out during the day and acting erratically, chances are it’s not rabid or a threat to anyone. So I say that this guy is cool and people need to relax a bit.

There’s more of a threat from speeding SUVs on Atlantic Avenue than a raccoon trying to find some food and shelter.

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived on State close to Flatbush Ave. We had a great backyard that we shared with an large Opossum. I was told me that they were commonly brought in by the Irish workers who built the neighborhood. What's next; Deer, Bear?

10:27 AM  
Blogger David M. Quintana said...

When I lived close to Forest Park in Queens I would see them all the time if I was out late at night...once when my daughter & I were coming home from a concert in Central Park there were six or seven of them sitting on a wraparound porch eating some cat food left out by the owner...They all watched us walked by as though we were the ones who didn't belong there...Raccoons will rummage through garbage cans and trash for something to eat...they usually live in tree cavities...I would recommend staying away from them, as well...remember, they are wild animals...

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home